General Information about Yevlakh

Yevlakh– The region in the Republic of Azerbaijan. Administrative center is Yevlakh city. 

History

Being established as a station and recognized as a “Station” by population during 80th years of last century, Yevlakh was called Yevlakh village of Elizabethpol province in the documents and sources related to beginnings of 19th century and Yevlakh village of Javanshir region since 1920. Yevlakh region was formed by the decision of Azerbaijan SSR CEC dated on 20 February 1935. City status was given to Yevlakh according to the decision of Azerbaijan SSR Supreme Soviet dated on 1 February 1939, forming City Soviet in Yevlakh. By the decision of Azerbaijan SSR Supreme Soviet X session called on 26 December, 1962 Yevlakh region was abolished and its territory was diluted to Aghdash, Barda and Gasim-Ismayilov regions, Yevlakh became republican subordinated industrial town. Yevlakh city was included in the row of republican subordinated cities by the order of Azerbaijan SSR Supreme Soviet Presidium and industrial enterprises began to be constructed in Yevlakh city. After plenary session of Azerbaijan CP CC dated July, 1969 new, large-scale industrial objects were constructed consistently and Yevlakh became an industrial city gradually thanks to care of Heydar Aliyev, National Leader of the Azerbaijan people. Cotton cleaning, Tobacco fermenting, 2 Ferro-concrete items, Tractor repair, Beer and non-alcoholic drinks plant, “Karabakh” factory, grain products, group of industries, tens of big transport, construction enterprises, interregion supply base and so on operated in Yevlakh during 70-80th years of last century. Yevlakh-Khankendi, Yevlakh-Balaken railway line was tracked, Yevlakh airport, gained fame outside of republic Khaldan rural complex secondary school, Chess school, Children and youth sport school, 19 secondary schools for 10535 persons, 15 kindergartens for 840 persons, hospitals, cultural and educational institutions, many-storey residential buildings were constructed and put to use. As the result of operating in 1978 and being the largest industrial enterprise of Transcausasus the primary Yevlakh Wool Fabric, Yevlakh became one of the largest industrial cities in the republic for its manufacture capacity of industrial productions. There are number of historical monuments in the territory of Yevlakh city proving that this place is an ancient residential dwelling. Gochtepe kurgan concerning to the end of 3rd millenium B.C. is located between Garamammadli and Rustamli villages of the region. There was Gochtepe Village near of Kurgan and this village was abolished and its population were transfered to the Garamammadli Village in 1938. The territory of Yevlakh region locating in the Shirvan area was a part of Arash city, one of the largest cities of Azrbaijan in the Middle Age and Arash district  taken from the name of this city. It is supposed that the center of this city was located 3 km from east of Khaldan. Ruins of city’s fortress walles are in the nearness of Khaldan Village. Surroundings of Khaldan Village is recognised as Arash at present time. 

Geography

Yevlakh is one the ancient residential dwellings in the center of Azerbaijan for its geographical situation, locating at intersection of all communications. It has been operated as a region since February of 1935. At the same time, Yevlakh is republican subordinated city. Yevlakh region has the same border with Aghdash, Barda, Tartar, Goranboy, Samukh, Gakh and Sheki regions. There are 1 city, 1 city typed settlement and 48 villages in the region. The city, settlement and big villages located in the region are as follows: 

Yevlakh city, Aran settlement, Khaldan, Havarli, Malbinasi, Goyunbinasi, Tanrigulular, Salahli, Arash and Samadabad villages. 

Being established as a station and recognized as a “Vaghzal” “Station” by population during 80th years of last century, Yevlakh was called Yevlakh village of Elizabethpol province in the documents and sources related to beginnings of 19th century and Yevlakh Village of Javanshir region since 1920.

Yevlakh region was formed by the decision of Azerbaijan SSR CEC dated on 20 February, 1935. 

City status was given to Yevlakh according to the decision of Azerbaijan SSR Supreme Soviet dated on 1 February, 1939, forming City Soviet in Yevlakh. 

By the decision of Azerbaijan SSR Supreme Soviet X session called on 26 December, 1962 Yevlakh region was abolished and its territory was diluted to Aghdash, Barda and Gasim-Ismayilov regions, Yevlakh became Republic subordinated industrial town. Yevlakh became  an independent region in 1965 again.

Yevlakh city was entered in the row of republican subordinated cities by the order of Azerbaijan SSR Supreme Soviet Presidium dated 1965 and industrial enterprises began to be constructed in Yevlakh city.

Nature 

The soils of the area are gray-grass, grass-gaey, alluvial meadow, chestnut-coloured, saline gray-brown, in most cases saline soils. Plant cover is typically semidesert. Xerophytic sparse woods, Riparian forest, flat lakelet and water meadow grass, as well as desert plants spread there. Forest fund is 4450 ha. Animals: wolf, fox, grey hare, wild boar, hedgehog, badger, jackal. Birds- partridge, ptarmigan, starling, owl, cock, woodpecker, oriole and so on. 

Cultural, educational and medical institutions

17146 students study in 57 schools providing general education (40 secondary, 9 basic, 8 primary schools). 105 pupils are learning various vocations in 9 groups of one vocational school. 1379 children are brought up in 25 pre-school education schools. Children and Youth Sport and Chess schools, children creative center and technical creative center function.  

There are 59 libraries, 1 Palace, 18 cultural centers, 2 museums, 22 clubs, 6 musical schools, folk theatre and puppet-show named after B.Safaroğlu, “Arash”, “Ilkin”, “Karvan”, “Seda” musical collectives in Yevlakh. 

Material and cultural heritage

Zargartepe kurgan erected from soil is located in the 18th km. of Yevlakh-Barda highway. Diameter of the cone-shaped kurgan is approximately 58 metres in the bottom part, height is 11 metres, length is 120 metres. 

Cover of soil on Uchtepe kurgan reaches 35 thousand cubic metres and researches computed that cover of soil on this kurgan spilt and completed for 3 years with intervals.

Remnants of Tomb supposed as Albanian Tomb during ancient time in the 3-4 km. of Khaldan Village, Sacred palace in Marzili village concerning 7th century and in 16th century known as Sheikh Hazra Sacred Place, Mosque of Malbinasi village constructed in 18th century concerning the  type of mosques constructed in Karabakh are protected.